In anticipation of my last day at LCC and because I had a 'final' to be at early the next morning I set my alarm for what I thought to be 6:45 a.m. I then proceeded to read from my new Message Bible and also from the Harry Potter book I was attempting to finish before actually going to sleep. Which as it turns out I can do quite well...
This morning I woke up at 9:30 a.m. I realized that my alarm was set for 6:45 p.m. At which point I started to freak out. Technically I was supposed to be at LCC for my 'final' at 8:00 a.m. Which means that by the time I got there it would be over!! The only good news at that point was that it wasn't a final that I had to take a test in since I had already taken the test earlier that week. It was merely a 'final' time slot and was supposed to be attended by all students. So, I managed to get out the door probably about 5 minutes (if that) after I woke up! Go me! However, this meant that I barely had noticed what I had thrown on and had no time to make myself look all that great.
I arrived at the classroom 15 minutes before the class was supposed to be over to find that it was empty. How annoying. I then proceeded to the office of my instructor and spilled out my tail of woe to her. It turned out fine. She gave me back some papers and told me what my grade was. I was worried that I had lost points for not attending the 'final' but she said it didn't matter. So all is well.
I then proceeded to the ladies room to make myself presentable for my next final which was in 10 minutes. I arrived at class and spent the time before the test griping about teachers with some of my fellow classmates. We all seem to dislike a certain Excel teacher. Finally the time for my Office Procedures test arrived. I finished the test in about 30 minutes. I was pretty confident about my answers.
I arrived home at about 10:50. I then proceeded to take a shower. I was quite glad that I had time to actually breathe now since I didn't have anything going until 2:00. I then did a few chores and had a bit to eat. It is at this time that I probably should have reconsidered what I had chosen to wear for the day. However, since I was woken up so abruptly I don't think my brain was working quite right. Instead I spent a relaxing hour watching television and reading my Harry Potter book.
At 1:30 I left for the college. I wanted to be early for my graduation rehearsal. While walking toward the LCC Gym I at last looked down at what I was wearing. It wasn't that I looked bad, it is just not what I would have chosen to wear if I had been able to choose under normal circumstances. I was wearing jeans (which was fine), but for a top I had on a very old t-shirt that I normally wear to bed. Somehow it had gotten stuck in my closet instead and being as how I have another shirt that looks like it I can understand I guess why I put it on. However I was slightly mortified that it was what I had chosen to wear for the day. However, I figured that the show must go on and that there wasn't much I could do about it now. And in all truthfulness I don't think I looked that bad. Again, it is just not what I would have chosen if I hadn't been so rudely awakened...
And so I attended graduation rehearsal in my old t-shirt. While standing around waiting for the rehearsal to start I overheard some people talking about how they still needed some tickets. One lady was saying that she only needed 1 more. At this point I walked over and handed her the one ticket I had in my back pocket that I was going to return to the activities director after the rehearsal since I didn't need it. It was well received, but I think I kinda freaked her out...
Finally the rehearsal began. I listened to the head of whatever talk about how things would be run this evening. She told us who the teacher marshals were (Dugaw and Fontaine) and how they would be leading us into the gym this evening. She then told us that the Marshals would tell us when to stand and sit. At this point I was reminded of the game 'Simon Says.' You see we are to stand when the marshals say we should and sit only when the marshals say. I can just picture them playing the game: "The Marshal says to be seated," "The Marshal says to stand." And as a result if anyone messes up I think I will have a distinct urge to say, "Oops! The Marshal didn't say!"
After practicing going up on stage and making sure that the head of whatever could pronounce my name correctly I was free to go. I was given the all important 'card' before I left. The card had my name on it and I am supposed to give it to the head of whatever when I walk on stage tonight so that she can call my name out. I am supposed to hang onto this card and have it ready for tonight. That is very nerve racking. I have already thought I lost it. However, it is currently safely in my car. So, as long as I drive my car to the ceremony tonight I should be fine.
Anyway, so that had been my crazy day. And I still have the actual ceremony to go to! With the way this day is going I wouldn't be surprised if I tripped or something. Hopefully not...
One Year Later
13 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment